Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Wild Ride on the 1911 Looff Carousel


I live a 15 minute walk from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I love it. I go down to the wharf and beach near there several times a week. My favorite ride is the old 1911 Looff Carousel. It's a great one with handcarved wooden horses. You can still reach out and grab a brass ring and if you manage to throw the ring into the mouth of a giant clown as you go by, his eyes light up and bells ring. One day I brought my camera and just started snapping as the horses went round and round. I got a number of priceless but very blurry random shots of people laughing and having the time of their lives. I turned this one into a digital painting. I think it's a hoot.

It's available as a poster, greeting cards and on a wide variety of products through my website on Cafepress.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, this makes me so homesick!! I'm from Saratoga, and the that carousel was such a huge part of my childhood!! We moved to Texas 2 years ago, but I can't wait to be back in the Bay Area again!!

Awesome picture, your work is fantastic!